Intensive Couples Therapy
Psychologist Dr. Angela Bisignano offers Intensive Couples Therapy at her office in Palos Verdes Estates. Clients are offered complete privacy to meet their therapeutic needs. Intensive Couples Therapy is a type of therapy that is concentrated and short-term. It involves meeting for 3 consecutive days of intensive therapy, 5 hours per day. The structure of each therapy day may vary according to the issues and needs presented. Couples coming in from out of the area or around the country can stay at local hotels in the South Bay of Los Angeles. See the Client Resource page for recommendations.
Intensive Couples Therapy is ideal for couples who want to get a jump start on their relationship issues. ICT is equivalent to about 5 months of couples therapy. ICT is also ideal for couples who are busy with careers and desire uninterrupted quality time to address their particular relationship issues.
The Intensive Couples Therapy approach has demonstrated to have benefits for couples that undertake it. It often leads to a reduction of feelings of distress, acceleration of healing, resolution of specific problems, and a stronger more connected relationship. In some instances, it has moved couples from conversations about ending their relationship to recommitting to it in new ways, Issues may include communication, chronic fighting, infidelity, intimacy, family, or career conflicts. ICT does not serve as an on-going, long-term couples’ therapy.
Prior to your Intensive Couples Therapy, you and your partner will have an extensive assessment which includes obtaining a lot of information about you, your partner and your relationship history. This type of format helps Dr. Bisignano learn a lot about you and formulate a treatment plan. The treatment plan acts as a roadmap for your ICT and time with Dr. Bisignano.
What is Included in Intensive Couples Therapy
- Private Couples Therapy
- 15 hours of therapy with Dr. Bisignano
- One interview with you and your partner. This includes the Gottman Oral History Inventory.
- A 2-hour detailed confidential Relationship Assessment taken online, scored and analyzed
- An Attachment Assessment that is scored and analyzed
- A detailed Multimodal Life History Inventory
- One feedback session with a detailed understanding of your strengths and areas of vulnerabilities
- Concrete skills, strategies and techniques
- Follow up coordination of care by your home locale therapist & Dr. Bisignano if needed
- Two follow up resource calls from Dr. Bisignano
Dr. Bisignano specializes in couples’ therapy. Approximately 75% of Dr. Bisignano’s practice is comprised of couple and relationship related issues. She is a certified therapist in Gottman Method Couples Therapy, an evidenced-based and scientific treatment method. Her therapeutic approach to couples’ therapy is also informed by Attachment Theory and Interpersonal Neurobiology.
It remains important to consider the risks involved with entering this type of therapy. It may move rather quickly and intensely into areas of hardship that need to be addressed. Therefore, you and / or your partner may experience uncomfortable feelings like fear, sadness, guilt, shame, anger, loneliness, and helplessness. Therapy may also involve recalling difficult aspects of your history together and/or individually.
Therapy, as with couples’ therapy in general has limitations and may be unadvisable in the following situations. Should you have any questions regarding the following issues, please contact Dr. Bisignano for clarification about whether the Intensive Couples Therapy method is suitable for your situation. These issues are:
- If there is active alcohol and/or drug addiction on the part of either or both partners, from either partner’s perspective
- If there is serious violence in your relationship, threats by one or both partners that serious violence might occur, or fear of such serious violence on the part of one or both partners
- If either partner currently has an untreated major mental illness (schizophrenia, recurrent psychotic depression, or bipolar/manic-depressive illness.) This does not include past, successfully treated psychotic episodes (e.g. postpartum depression with psychosis)
- If there is an undisclosed, current affair that you are not willing to disclose (such secrets predict marital therapy failure)
- If either partner is currently experiencing suicidal or homicidal thoughts, or has a history of serious harm inflicted on him/herself or another person
Upon completion of therapy, Dr. Bisignano may recommend that Intensive Couples Therapy be followed by couples’ and/or individual therapy conducted in your home community. A recommendation for a half-day tune up with Dr. Bisignano may also be recommended. In some cases, coordination between your home locale therapist and Dr. Bisignano may be advisable. In this case, Dr. Bisignano will have you both sign a Release of Information form to allow for this exchange, if further treatment is needed.
Payment Terms & Conditions
Intensive Couples Therapy is a serious mutual commitment, for you and for Dr. Bisignano. She sets aside a block of time for only you. You and your partner both commit to the therapeutic process, as Dr. Bisignano commits to helping you. For this reason, scheduling Intensive Couples Therapy requires a 50% deposit at the time of scheduling. The remaining 50% balance is due one week prior to your scheduled ICT.
If for any reason you decide to cancel Intensive Couples Therapy, a 50% refund will be given up to 3 weeks prior to the scheduled start date. If you cancel less than 3 weeks prior to the scheduled start date of your Intensive Couples Therapy, your deposit is non-refundable.
Fee for Intensive Couples Therapy
- Therapy Costs = $7,500.
- Dr. Bisignano offers a complimentary 20-minute phone consultation to see if Intensive Couples Therapy is right for you.