Intensive Couples Therapy
Psychologist Dr. Angela Bisignano offers Intensive Couples Therapy at her office in Palos Verdes Estates and Manhattan Beach, CA, as well virtual intensives. Clients are offered complete privacy to meet their therapeutic needs. Intensive Couples Therapy is a type of therapy that is concentrated and short-term. It involves meeting for 3 consecutive days. The schedule of each therapy day may vary, however most ICTs are done on the weekends. A typical schedule includes 3 hours on Friday evening, 5 hours of therapy, broken up in two and a half increments on Saturday and Sunday.
Intensive Couples Therapy is ideal for couples who want to get a jump start on their relationship issues. It is equivalent to about 3 months of couples therapy. ICT is also ideal for couples who are busy with careers and desire uninterrupted quality time to address their particular relationship issues.
Intensive Couples Therapy has demonstrated to have lasting benefits for couples. It can lead to a reduction of distress and increase healing of past hurts. ICT can help deepen understanding and trust, strengthening friendship, This type of therapy also provides an atmosphere for exploring dreams and life purpose. One significant outcome of ICT is the ability to create more emotionally-connected relationships. In some instances, it has moved couples from conversations about ending their relationship to recommitting to it in new ways, Issues may include communication, unresolved conflicts, infidelity, intimacy, family, or career challenges.
What is Included in Intensive Couples Therapy
- Private couple’s therapy with Dr. Bisignano
- One couple’s interview with you and your partner, this includes the Gottman Oral History Inventory.
- Two individual interviews, one with you and one with your partner
- A confidential and comprehensive Relationship Assessment taken online, scored and analyzed
- Feedback session with a detailed understanding of your strengths and areas of vulnerabilities
- A tailored ICT treatment plan for your relationship
- Research-based skills, strategies and tools taught and provided during ICT
- Follow up coordination of care by your home locale therapist & Dr. Bisignano if needed
- One follow up resource call from Dr. Bisignano
Dr. Bisignano specializes in couples’ therapy. Approximately 80% of Dr. Bisignano’s practice is comprised of couple and relationship related issues. She is a certified therapist in Gottman Method Couples Therapy, an evidenced-based and scientific treatment method. Her therapeutic approach to couples’ therapy is also informed by Attachment Theory and Interpersonal Neurobiology.
ICT can move rather quickly and move into challenging areas.. Some individuals may experience uncomfortable feelings. Therapy may also involve recalling difficult aspects of your history together and/or individually.
Therapy, as with couples’ therapy in general has limitations and may be unadvisable in the following situations. Should you have any questions regarding the following issues, please contact Dr. Bisignano for clarification about whether the Intensive Couples Therapy method is suitable for your situation. These issues are:
- Active alcohol and/or drug addiction on the part of either or both partners, from either partner’s perspective
- Serious violence or threats in your relationship, by one or both partners
- If either partner currently has an untreated major mental illness (eg., schizophrenia, recurrent psychotic depression, or bipolar/manic-depressive illness.)
- Undisclosed current affair that you are not willing to disclose
- Ether partner is currently experiencing suicidal or homicidal thoughts, or has a history of serious harm inflicted on him/herself or another person
Following ICT, Dr. Bisignano may recommend that Intensive Couples Therapy be followed by couples’ and/or individual therapy conducted in your home community. A recommendation for a half-day tune up with Dr. Bisignano may also be recommended. In some cases, coordination between your home locale therapist and Dr. Bisignano may be advisable. If this occurs, Dr. Bisignano will have you both sign a Release of Information form to allow for this exchange, if further treatment is needed.
Payment Terms & Conditions
Intensive Couples Therapy is a serious mutual commitment, for you and for Dr. Bisignano. She sets aside a block of time for only you. You and your partner both commit to the therapeutic process, as Dr. Bisignano commits to helping you. For this reason, scheduling Intensive Couples Therapy requires a 25% deposit at the time of scheduling. The remaining balance is due one week prior to your scheduled ICT. If you need to reschedule or cancel your ICT one week’s notice is required for a refundable deposit.
Fee for Intensive Couples Therapy
- Therapy Costs – Call Dr. Bisignano’s office for current pricing.
- Dr. Bisignano offers a complimentary 20-minute phone consultation to see if Intensive Couples Therapy is right for you.